Sunday, February 12, 2012

the way fiji's supposed to be

Finally, beautiful weather! Slept terribly. woke up with bites all over my hands/arms. The room {we're all in a large dorm room} was so hot. Miserable actually. Early wake up to the beat of a drum.



Erin and I went snorkeling right off the shore. Was really beautiful. {but I dont think as impressive as some of the Bahamian reefs}

Came back to the locals doing a coconut/palm demonstration. Cracked a coconut with their hands. They make it look so easy {especially remembering the effort and time we put into trying to crack coconuts in the bahamas: an all-day affair.}



After lunch we had "island games"– spear throwing and egg toss. Brought back the glory days of backyard games. After some more volleyball, some of us went to climb up the mountain for a sunset hike. We finally found the correct path and it was absolutely breathtaking. 
wrong path. this was the pineapple orchard
 I felt like I was in the Sound of Music or something. The tall dance danced in the wind. Lord of the Rings. straight up. 




katie and erin
 We saw a large storm cloud quickly approaching. I tucked my camera under my shirt, and began to just run back to the huts.  The rain pelted sideways, feeling almost like hail.  I'd run, run and then find a rock to hide behind to catch my breath, then it was back running in the mud downhill.  Luckily I made it in time before dark and before the rain really got to my camera.  


Dinner was delicious. The fish was some of the best food I've ever had. Bread fruit salad. YUM. ––perfect ending to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment