Thursday, May 19, 2011

new beginnings


Today we had our orientation at Kayamandi (the township near Stellenbosch).  Just judging from our quick walk around the place, it’s better than I was expecting. I thought it’d be like Indian slums bad but there were some paved roads, TVs, and corner shops.  But we were there for hours for a silly orientation that was basically like an AA meeting meets Challenge Day.  Yes, pretty awful.  This guy who looks like Mr. Rogers led us. We had to sing the U.S. national anthem and hole hands and sing some circle song.  I felt bad- some people cried while I couldn’t even take the bloody thing seriously. 

It’s quite nice being legal J You just show the doorman your school ID and you’re in!  I told myself I wasn’t going to go out tonight. Whoops.  We were downtown at dinner and my new friends (I went to fetch Sydney at the block across the parking lot and they were sitting outside at a picnic table covered in wine bottles… so I chatted.  The rest of my group found me.  Our new friends love Americans so we were a big hit.) found us there and invited us to trivia.  



How they found us at the restaurant, I have no idea.  Anyway, we followed their hazy directions to the pub which led us through a sketchy maze in downtown Stellenbosch.  No we didn’t win, but we did win an arm wrestle.  The place played old school hits like "Scotty Doesn’t Know" (yes, like from Eurotrip) and everyone there knew all the words. Awesome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment