Friday, June 3, 2011

a lot to think about, but nothing to worry about

Today we made closure of our experiences at Kayamandi over the past 2 weeks.  It was our last session with Grant (who made everyone cry last friday) and a great way to end our time there.  We all shared some of our favorite experiences and he read us this lovely poem by Robert Frost that ought to be familiar, but i'll share it with you anyways:

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.        20


Then as a surprise for him, we all learned the South African national anthem and sang it for him.  It makes me want to be South African myself- i love it!


In closing, his words were along the lines of having a lot to think about and nothing to worry about.
so true.

Last week, I worked in the computer lab teaching the most basic computer skills from moving the cursor to writing a resume. Then this week I taught in one of the creches with about 20+ 3-5 year-old children who know little to no english (and i know zero xhosa).


And here are some of my favorite pictures of time spent at Kayamandi...

rain + township makes for a pretty depressing day

yes, we did yoga

our beautiful class!
and on the last day, they walked us all the way back. hand in hand. aww

1 comment: